About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable (login required)(opens in new window)
Semester 2 (Extended)
Semester 2 (Extended)
March - On Campus
March - Online
Semester 2 (Extended) - On Campus
Semester 2 (Extended) - Online
|Look up fees
This subject examines theory and interventions for developing learning environments using positive behaviour support. Critical theoretical perspectives that underpin working effectively with behaviours of concern will be explored. The subject will assist students to understand how to use multi-tiered systems of support to promote positive behaviours, including School-wide Positive Behaviour Support. There will be a focus on understanding the communicative function of behaviour and the functional relationship between environment and behaviour. The impact of behaviour on school engagement will be investigated and explore how systems may limit access to education for students who may be exhibiting behaviours of concern. The importance of using function-based interventions for all learners including those who require more targeted or individualised responses will be examined. Students will demonstrate the use of function-based thinking and functional behaviour assessment to support learners.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Review and contrast major theoretical perspectives of behaviour.
- Recognise that behaviour is a form of communication and investigate the functional relationship between environment and behaviour.
- Examine frameworks for promoting positive behaviour including the use of multi-tiered systems of support.
- Analyse the prevalence and impacts of behaviours of concern on engagement with schooling.
- Apply interventions for behaviours of concern within a tiered framework.
- Collaborate with caregivers and professionals in the process of developing behavioural interventions.
This subject will develop the following set of key transferable skills:
- Critical reasoning and thinking
- Problem solving
- Evidence based decision making
- Teamwork and professional collaboration
Last updated: 10 February 2024